Posts by moira

In Memoriam, Henry N. Flynt, Jr.

Posted by on Jul 13, 2015 in Featured slider | Comments Off on In Memoriam, Henry N. Flynt, Jr.

In Memoriam, Henry N. Flynt, Jr.

We regretfully announce that one of our dearest friends has died. He will ever be missed. Henry N. Flynt, Jr., known to us all as Hank, was one of the finest men around. He passed away at home on Saturday evening surrounded by his loving family. A memorial service will be held on Monday, August 3, at First Congregational Church, 906 Main Street (for more information about this check this post on the Church’s website). An obituary will appear in tomorrow’s paper.

Read More

Treadway Family & the Williams Inn

Posted by on Jun 3, 2015 in Featured slider, Talks | Comments Off on Treadway Family & the Williams Inn

Treadway Family & the Williams Inn

We hope you’ll join us on Sunday, June 14 from 1 – 3 pm in the Heritage Room at the Williams for our Annual Meeting for Members at 1 pm followed by a lecture on the Treadway family and the Williams Inn presented by Carl Faulkner, former owner of the Williams Inn. L.G. Treadway opened his first inn in Williamstown, MA in 1912. By 1954 there were 14 Treadway Inns in New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York State, and Vero Beach, Florida. Richard Fowle “Dick” Treadway was born (June 5, 1913) and raised in Williamstown, succeeded his father as chairman of the board...

Read More

100 Years in White: Architecture of the First Congregational Church

Posted by on Jun 2, 2015 in Exhibits, Featured slider, Talks | Comments Off on 100 Years in White: Architecture of the First Congregational Church

100 Years in White: Architecture of the First Congregational Church

  100 Years in White: Architecture of the First Congregational Church  What do shirt collars and the current building of the First Congregational Church have in common?  How did Williams College create the circumstances making it necessary to redesign our building?  Some of this information is common knowledge in Williamstown, but you may be surprised by some information that has newly been connected to this story.  Moira Jones ties new information with the old in this exhibit to tell the whole story of why the 1869 Neo-Romanesque building was renovated before its 50th birthday. Exhibit...

Read More

1753 House

Posted by on May 15, 2015 in Exhibits | Comments Off on 1753 House

The 1753 House in the Rotary In 1750, village lots in the newly surveyed West Hoosac plantation were first offered for sale by the General Court of Massachusetts Bay Colony. The Court probably had two motives in establishing the plantation: to settle and fortify the northwest corner of the colony, lying along a heavily used Indian path (now called the Mohawk Trail), and thereby protect towns to the east and south; and to prevent Dutch settlers in New York from inching over their eastern boundary into Massachusetts. The area was a heavily forested wilderness and, although some of the lots...

Read More

Cluett Estate/Pine Cobble School

Posted by on May 15, 2015 in Featured slider | Comments Off on Cluett Estate/Pine Cobble School

Cluett Estate/Pine Cobble School

Cluett Estate/Pine Cobble School (163 Gale Road) This home was built in 1911 as a weekend and summer home for George Alfred Cluett, and is an example of the high Georgian style. The original landscape was designed by Olmsted Associates in 1911. Olmsted Associates, founded by Frederick Law Olmstead, designed over 60 projects in Berkshire County. Cluett was born in Troy NY, and joined his father and uncle in the successful collar and shirt factory which later become Arrow Shirts. By the turn of the century, Williamstown had become a popular summer resort, and George’s father, Robert...

Read More