Talks

Posts on upcoming talks

100 Years in White: Architecture of the First Congregational Church

Posted by on Oct 9, 2014 in Exhibits, Featured slider, Talks | 0 comments

100 Years in White: Architecture of the First Congregational Church

  100 Years in White: Architecture of the First Congregational Church  Moira Jones Saturday, November 15th, 11:00 am What do shirt collars and the current building of the First Congregational Church have in common?  How did Williams College create the circumstances making it necessary to redesign our building?  Some of this information is common knowledge in Williamstown, but you may be surprised by some information that has newly been connected to this story.  Moira Jones will tie new information with the old to tell the whole story of why the 1869 Neo-Romanesque building was renovated...

Read More

The 1746 Attack on Fort Massachusetts

Posted by on Oct 9, 2014 in Featured slider, Talks | 0 comments

The 1746 Attack on Fort Massachusetts

The 1746 Attack on Fort Massachusetts by Dusty Griffen   Saturday, November 8th, 11:00 am Many local residents have heard about the colonial fort, once located in the current parking lot of Price Chopper on Rt. 2 in North Adams. They may even have heard about the attack by French and Indian soldiers in August 1746. But the episode has received little sustained attention from historians, and a number of questions remain without clear answers: Why was the fort built there? Why was it attacked? Why was it quickly overwhelmed? Who was responsible? Dusty Griffin taught English literature at...

Read More

Living History Day with the Rural Lands

Posted by on Oct 9, 2014 in Featured slider, Talks | 0 comments

Living History Day with the Rural Lands

  Living History Day with the Williamstown Rural Lands Foundation   Saturday, November 1st, 11:00 am Do you enjoy working with hand tools?  Are you interested in preserving our cultural history?  If so, we invite you to join the WRLF and the Williamstown Historical Museum on Saturday November 1st at Sheep Hill in this hands-on project to restore an antique horse-drawn work sled donated to the WRLF by Henry Flynt.  These sleds were used to bring logs and firewood and sap collection barrels out of the woods in the winter and are an important part of our local heritage. We hope Mr....

Read More

87 Marshall Street

Posted by on Mar 16, 2014 in Featured slider, Talks | 0 comments

87 Marshall Street

87 Marshall Street, John L. Sprague remembers it well.  Please come on June 8th to hear him talk about his experiences there.  John spent 11 years as the president of the Sprague Electric Company, founded by his father, Robert, who moved the company from Quincy to North Adams in 1929. He was in charge in 1984 and 1985 when new owner Penn Central moved the company’s international headquarters from the Berkshires to Lexington and eliminated 700 Sprague jobs in North Adams.  That move, the Berkshire Eagle later reported, “left a legacy of bitterness in the city,” even though Sprague didn’t...

Read More

Big Days in a Small Town

Posted by on Feb 23, 2014 in Exhibits, Featured slider, Talks, Video | 0 comments

Big Days in a Small Town

One of the leading features of small town life is that on several occasions during the year a substantial part of the population, young and old, gathers at some central place for a townwide meeting, a parade, or holiday festivities. These events are a means to bring everybody together and to reaffirm their participation in a small community.  Community celebrations will be the topic of both our new exhibition curated by Dusty Griffin. These townwide events are a prominent part of the Williamstown’s annual calendar, and have been going on for a long time. Some events — Town Meeting,...

Read More

The Trail of a Williamstown Founding Family

Posted by on Feb 16, 2014 in Talks, Video | 0 comments

The Trail of a Williamstown Founding Family

On April 19th at 11 am, we will explore the reasons for America’s mobile nature, by looking at one local family’s migration away and back to Williamstown.  The search for arable land–and adventure–drove many early “settlers” to keep moving on.  The family of Nehemiah Smedley, whose 1772 House still stands on the eastern end of Main Street, is a perfect example.  First settling ca. 1639 in Concord MA, each of the next four Smedley generations relocated. Although Nehemiah’s son, Elijah, did stay put in Williamstown on land contiguous to his father’s (known later...

Read More